Post Abdominal Surgery
Abdominal surgeries can cause a variety of symptoms with the two most common being abdominal pain and difficulty with keeping an upright posture due to abdominal scar tightness.
Physical Therapy is an effective approach to reduce abdominal pain, and improve posture-related to abdominal surgeries.
Physical Therapy and C-section Scars
For example, the Cesarean section can create a painful scar. Abdominal C-sections are a very common procedure. More than 1.3 million c-sections are performed annually in the U.S, and up to 18% of these c-sections will end up with:
- Chronic scar pain.
- Pain with pressure to the lower abdominal area.
- Lower back pain.
- Pain with bowel movements.
- Pain with tossing and turning in bed.
- Premenstrual pain.
Physical Therapy can reduce pain in women who have had c-section surgeries and reduce all other symptoms described above.
Scar Release Techniques
- Myofascial Release
- Visceral Mobilization
- Gentle Stretches to the Scar Area
- Global Postural Reeducation
- Trigger Point Release
- Improve Pressure Tolerance in the Lower Abdomen.
- Improvement in Scar Mobility in all Directions.
- Decreased in Premenstrual pain